|Mags and dolls.|
|Cover Model, Erin Curran.|
- Ebonne Ruffins, a black girl who was presented as a damn fine swimmer and at the 6th annual Black History Invitational Swim Meet won two golds and a silver
- How to get a pen pal through AG--ah, the old days of pen pals
- How tears get jerked--basically, because the human body is a hodge-podge of mixed signals
- Write in story from a twelve year old Afghan girl whose family left Afghanistan when she was a year old after the Russian Invasion, and who had (at the time) been living in the US since she was three
- This month's poll and help query
- poem by a kid about candy.
The buzzword is "splendiferous." Don't just be using that word in place of wonderful for shits and giggles. We aren't goddamn Fancy Nancy or whatever.
|Talk It Out: Competition|
|Molly Takes Flight. More like Molly whines a lot.|
Molly (as written) might not be my favorite AG character. But I like her Aunt Eleanor, who wanted to be a pilot and did that shit. Screw you and your late Victorian Early Edwardian attitudes about everything, Dad, I'm going to join the WASPs and bob my hair--
|Up in a plane like a boss.|
I really don't like Molly.
|Looking back: Flyers|
One, post war all their records and efforts were sealed up and they weren't treated like actual ex-military, in that wonderful period of "women get back in the kitchen so we can have an era where it looked like women have always stayed home". The records weren't unsealed until 1977 when the Air Force was trying to claim that they were just now starting out with women. (The story gets it wrong and says 1979.)
Two, that the WASPs weren't all white contrary to bullshit. Two were Asian American: Maggie Gee, a Chinese American; Hazel Ying Lee, also Chinese American and the last WASP to die in service (and whose family had to fight to have her buried in the cemetery they picked for her and her brother, because white people got race issues); and Ola Mildred Rexroat, an Oglala Sioux from Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, who was the only Native American woman among them.
History: Don't always be trusting that shit as written.
|Those Daring Young Girls on the flying Trapeze.|
Things suggested include:
- Diving for pennies in the pool
- clothes relay with wet clothes
- How to do a water ballet move, the Oyster (sink under smooth)
- Decorating picture frames with buttons and shells and painting rocks for paperweights
- Making flower crowns (if I ever do so I'm using faux flowers)
- Crap to do when it's raining
- Crap to do in the back of a car on a road trip
- Crap to do in the evening for games
- Books to read before bed (Including one of my faves, Cassie Woodlawn)
|Short Story: A Tiara for Tibb|
|Who's That Girl?|
|It's Linda Ellerbee!|
Next is the blah blah blah word puzzles and jokes and things section, nothing to say on that.
- "Hurt and Confused", who's friend is being off and on mean to her and learns the shitty lesson I did as a kid that some so called "friends" are total shits and need to be cut out of your life sooner rather than later
- "Hallie" who is dealing with a wild puppy who hasn't learned how to behave--take her to obedience school
- "A Doll Lover in Brooklyn" who likes to play with Barbies and is afraid her friends will pick on her because of the stupid perception that there's an upper limit on girl's toys--I have talked about this here.
- Advice from a girl who says it's okay to be one of the tallest kids in class because it tens to even itself out.
|It's summer, let's get painted.|
|Paper doll #5: Lindsey.|
Lindsey's paper doll has traits that will carry for the rest of the paper doll releases all the way to the end of the line. Good going Lindsey, setting the stage for standards.The front has the doll, and the fold out contains all the clothes behind her--sticking out a little because it's still four historical clothing sets and a modern.
|Speaking of yukata.|
I alas did not get a good shot of her great grandmothers Ichi's clothing--she's wearing a casual kimono with mompe, or drawstring pants, and leggings. The book spells them "monpei", which is not accurate. This is why I must research all the things to get them right.
|All dressed up with a book.|
|Next Time: Addy!|