#‎AGDoCGotY
American Girl, keep giving us Dolls of Color for Girls of the Year.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Clothes Reviews: Saige's Sweater Outfit (2013)

Saige's Sweater Outfit. Well, Abbi's.
This year's Girl of the Year is Saige Copeland, a redheaded ear-pierced white girl living in New Mexico with her horse and her balloon and her paints and her educational worries. Why they picked yet another white girl and then set the story in New Mexico is another rant altogether. Le sigh. After seeing her collection, at least one of her outfits appealed to me--only one for sure, though. That's how I treat the Girls of the Year (hereafter refered to as "GotY"): if I like their stuff but hate the character or doll, I get it for the Mod Squad, and toss the character.1 (Only a few Historicals have got this treatment, notably Samantha and Rebecca.) Thus, I got Saige's Sweater Outfit (and Saige's Painting Set) soon after it was released in January. No Saige in my house, unless it's a spice. We'll be doing this in two parts: Outfit in one, painting set in the other. It was starting to get ridiculously long, so I broke it up.

It's not often that I review things that are still out for purchase. I have a lot of backlog to get through with outfits, not to mention historical sets (including a near complete Addy collection, my pride) and Etsy stuff. But seeing as this is a limited edition outfit and there's a little less than a half a year to get any hands on this outfit and/or set, I'm willing to tackle this one early so that anyone who might want to get good opinions on the set can see it before it's retired and folk are looking at a stupid ridiculous markup on eBay.

The outfit consists of a open multicolored drape sweater, sleeveless shirt, denim-style leggings, and brown sandals. I paid the full, original cost of $34; there are already auctions going for 60+ bucks on eBay--which is absolute nonsense; there's still some months left in the year to get it. I haven't seen the movie yet (I'm not exactly rushing to) so I can't tell you where it shows up there. It however, is shown in the books; I'll show which pages at the end.

This review (and the set afterwards) are going to be with Abigail Mona "Abbi" Dormany2, my quiet sensitive painter. I've already talked about the pink stripe in her hair in the Dolly Weave review; she likes it so much she's likely never taking it out. She is also wearing the Raspberry Glasses (reviewing later when I do a Glasses Run) and what I am pretty sure the necklace from the 2008 Gardening Outfit; she came in it and I've never taken it off. You may also see two of the hair decs that I have in her hair; one is Our Generation, the other from my collection of buying small clips and finding hair stuff in used stores. 


Sweater. Cause even in the Southwest, it gets nippy.
Sweater: The sweater is a multicolored loose knit long sleeved sweater, made to hang loose over the shirt it's on top of. Anyone who claims that an over sweater is pointless south of Oklahoma has never been south of Oklahoma. At night and in the fall, it's cool enough to still be needed. The primary colors are red and black, with pink and a dark cadmium yellow--about the shade of mustard. The pattern is semi-geometrical with arrows, dots, triangles, and rectangles, in something of a regular pattern. Probably to evoke Southwest feels. As a girl from down that way, it succeeds. (I'm from Texas originally.)

The Draping.
The front isn't made to close up neatly; instead, it drapes down open in semi-loose folds. This gives it a loose, casual feel--less bundling up in the winter, more "touch cool out, need another layer."

"Flat" to show the pattern.
Pulling the draping front flat across Abbi's chest shows the triangle/arrow/dots/lines in a Southwest influenced pattern. The colors--red, pink, yellow--are on a black background. It makes for a intriguing contrast. The body is all one knit piece; the sleeves are slash-set in.

Sleeves.
The sleeves are wrist length, but easily pushed up. Abbi generally wears them at three quarters to elbow length. The same pattern that's on the body can be seen here.

Push 'em up!
The sleeves look fine at about elbow to three quarters and help make the pattern more visually interesting. Higher than that and they look a little dowdy.

Excuse me sweater--what are you doing?
And then I noticed the snagging. There were little pulls of the knit everywhere. I didn't see any on the sleeves, but the bodice had them in spades.

Oh, this will not stand.
Everywhere I looked. I'm tempted to snip them off, but that's generally how a sweater unravels, and I'd rather not unravel a limited time sweater. Le sigh. What a pain in my ass; I'm going to have to keep an eye on the whole set to make sure it doesn't come apart on me.

Sweater off Abbi.
The sweater gets a B-. The colors are nice and I love the idea of a casual sweater for when it's cool but not cold. The sleeves are also sensible, and I will probably out this over other shirts such as black t-shirts and white plain shirts. However, the pulling dropped the grade considerably. I have the feeling that in a few years we'll see messed up pulled sweaters second hand on eBay, manhandled by children who didn't respect their toys.

Sleeveless Shirt. It was brisk. I dressed in layers.
Shirt:  Underneath the sweater is a sleeveless shirt. Not quite a tank top in my opinion; there's no straps, which is my line between tank top and sleeveless top. Look, I have arbitrary lines for things, that's just how it be. Welcome to a seamstress's picky pants.

Neckline and armholes.
The neckline is a standard shirt line--not all the way up to the neck. The armhole covers the AG shoulder joint cups very well, a plus in my book. Both are hemmed in the same kind of fabric the shirt is made of--a standard t-shirt knit. Not as stretchy as a t-shirt, but enough of a stretch to be casual.

Subtle little print.
The shirt has a very subtle wavy diamond print in a heather gray, with curls and curves and swirls. I was very impressed when I saw that--it's often that undershirts are seen as almost secondary to the colorful tops in outfits. It's soft enough that it doesn't overpower or clash with the sweater, but adds a nice element of style.

To the hips.
The shirt comes down over the hips, and has a simple hem. (The AG tag is on the left side, near the hem. Tag all the things.) I am pretty sure it will mix and match wonderfully.

The shirt gets an A.  I was very pleased to see the faint print and and I'm sure it can go under and match up with a lot. Also, covering up the armholes is a plus in my book, for always.

Leggings. Call then 'jeggings" and I'll beat you with a Doc Marten.
Leggings: The leggings are the calm part of an otherwise exciting outfit, like a cool down after heights or the calm before the book climax. They're a dark charcoal grey denim simulation, which means when one is painting the paint is likely going to show up all over them. Not quite jeans, but jeanesque. They're not super tight, but not loose enough to be slacks. They're leggings. Welcome 80s, I remember you well. Wait until I make that zebra shirt I wore as kid for Tyanna. Then it will be on.

Waistband.
Like all proper leggings there are no pockets, waistbands,  or anything but pull on stretch with elastic in the waist. That's how you do it to make it work.


They're a little past ankle length, hence the slight gather at the ankles.Which, you know, adds style so no problem there. I actually like the ankle gathers. The leggings get a A. They're good, sensible leggings and won't show dirt, and will likely go under a lot of things--albeit none of my 80s things. They're just not neon enough.

These shoes are made for painting and showing your toes.
Sandals: The ankle sandals are brown faux leather--don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure AG uses simulated leather/vinyl in all their products. There's a double row of fringe strips attached to the top, and moderate topstitching.

Why the camera focused on the far foot, I'll never quite know.
The side shows off the fact that this is an ankle sandal, with a band around the back. The sole is brown to match the top. There's a bit of a heel piece, but just enough to cover the heel.

Closure.
The heel piece also has velcro, so the shoe can be opened for putting on and taking off. Also top stitched. No elastic in these shoes.

Shoes off!
The shoe off show the overall brown, which makes for a nice look, unlike white soled shoes. Also brown is a nice sensible color that can match all kinds of casual outfits.

Sole. Get you somes.
The sole is a simple black. While it looks textured it's pretty sleek, and thus slippery. I kind of wish AG would go back to textured soles at times, but oh well. A. Minor flaws like slippery soles don't get you knocked down a grade. Pulling yarn does.

*~*~* 

The outfit is only seen twice in the books; one in a half shot, and one from the waist up.

Saige, pg 23.
Here the outfit is shown in Saige. The shoes are wholly different and the undershirt  has no pattern; the sweater is also only red, black, and pink with stripes on the lower arms.

Saige Paints the Sky, pg 55.
In Saige Paints the Sky, the outfit is only shown from the waist up. Again, no pattern on the shirt and the sweater is only red, pink, and black, with the stripes on the arms.

In the case.
The outfit actually on Saige at AG Seattle. I sacrifice for you people.

*~*~*

Overall Feel: I really do like this outfit, much more than I like Saige. (Sorry, selecting New Mexico as your location and then putting every character as color as sidekicks to the white people wins no points with me.) The sweater-undershirt combo is nice for that spring to summer look--off sweater for the day, on for the night or on cooler days. It's casual comfy. The pilling on the sweater is the worst, though--I'm sure in a few years there will be snagged and falling apart sweaters.

Cost Value:
I think $34 isn't half bad for an full component AG outfit brand new and not secondhand. If you want it, get it before 2013 is up and you're looking at stupid eBay prices. It's not worth $60+. AG stuff less than five years old is almost never worth the ridiculous secondary costs--and I've paid some of them for some outfits. (But for Addy. Cause she's spoiled.) Once it's retired, maybe go up to $40 for a full set, but not much higher.

Timeliness/Datedness:
It's very contemporary, but in a good way. The leggings aren't neon lycra or lamé enough for an 80s look, but they might be able to carry a little bit if you squint and tilt your head. The outfit might be dated in a few years, but I don't think it'll do too bad as the years go by. We'll have to see.

Mix and Match Levels:
Everything can be swapped around. I will probably try the sweater over a black or yellow shirt, or a casual solid dress with some boots. The shirt can go all by itself, as well as over jeans or skirts or other stuff. The leggings can go with other tops as long as they're down to the hips. They might look thick under a skirt, though since they're more like pants. And the shoes are adorably perfect, and might actually take the place of shoes in another outfit I have from the late 90s/early 2000s that have very weak shoes.

Appropriateness to Character: Unlike the only Lanie outfit I have, this one at least gets the distinction of being in the books itself. So it at least gets points for actually applying to Saige herself. For my moddies, it's Abbi's outfit, though she'll happily share with everyone. I think it won't look bad on any of them--it's not too bright or pastel. Nice and soothing.

Final Grade:
B+. The pulling on the sweater keeps it out of the A category, but overall it's a dear little set with a lot of potential outside of Saige's collection. Get it now if you want it, before you're potentially paying through the nose for it.

Next time: painting in sweaters, with Abbi.
Now with Part 2: Saige's Painting Set.

ETA: I have watched the movie, and the only part of the outfit seen is the sweater over other clothes.

--Neth

1 I only have three officially official GotY: Marisol (awesome), Sonali (superior to Chrissa in all ways) and Kanani (one of the best, and all I don't have is her ice stand because it sold out before I could get it). See footnote #2.
2 Abbi is a restored "Nicki" that was gifted to me.

11 comments:

  1. This is a great, detailed review! This is one of the better outfits AG has done lately

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonali, superior to Chrissa in all ways? I'm going to have to respectfully beg to differ with you on that point...but this is your blog, so.... *shrug*

    All such differences of opinion aside, once again you've given us a good, detailed, informative review of an AG product. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sweater on this reminds me of the outfits worn by the crazy theater lady in High School Musical (which I did not watch of my own volition just so you know.) At least in outward appearance, I like the tunic outfit better, but I am curious as to its relative quality. To snip off the snags without unraveling the sweater, tie the loop in a knot close to the fabric, then cut off the loop past the knot. Same basic principle as changing thread while knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got this outfit just for the jeggings, but ended up liking it as a whole. my Josefina looks rill qt in it, IMO, and the sweater is also a lot softer than I was expecting.

    have you tried calling AG Customer Service about your sweater? I don't think mine has so many 'snags' (I'll check this weekend), but either way, I've heard they're good about no-hassle exchanges, so they might just send you a new one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might actually just take it to the store, since it's a shorter trip. Good idea--I'll do it before October, cause that's when things on GotY start getting slim pickings.

      Delete
  5. I think the reason saige is white is because they laready have one hispanic doll from new mexico. to put the kid in new mexico in itself is quite stupid, why not to choose another town that hasnt been covered yet. a polish or irish girl from chicago, a russian/ukrainian math geek from san diego an african american aspiring hair stylist from atlanta, an african american (or maybe mixed race) cheerleader, an amish girl or just some nutty baptis white girl from arknsas with ten kids or a cowgirl from texas - so many unexpored stories! they would have been more believeble than a red haired white girl from new mexico who worries about not having money for painting i mean cmon. so many other issues to cover. unemployed fathers and detsroyed houses after the hurricane katrina. family run businesses (how about an italian girl whose parents run a pizzeria somehwere in new jersey?) other uneplored sports ( a basketball player anyone? or maybe a chess player?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josefina set in the 1820s does not count for a modern doll. As for the rest, if you gave a shit for me to reply to it, it wouldn't be riddled with bad typing and terrible capitalization.

      Delete
    2. Oh really? well I`d like to se you write in a foreign language with perfect typing/capitalization. americans can be so arrogant sometimes

      Delete
    3. What language do you speak?

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I don't hate Rebecca, but I don't have her; the "Rebecca" I bought was transformed into my 1840s girl, Charlotte. So I just buy her outfits separate.

      Delete

Trolling, pointless bigotry, and hating for the sake of hating will be removed, as will any post screaming "first" because no one cares. Cursing is fine, as I curse myself. I still expect you to act like you have home training. This is not a Free Speech Zone. I reserve the right to delete comments or tell you to piss off. You post, you stand by your words, and all the consequences of those words, even if that consequence is getting your ass handed back to you. Don't come in my space, spit on my floor, and expect me to call it a swimming pool. I can and will cuss your entire ass out. If I told you not to comment, and you comment, your comments will be deleted.

If you are under 13 your comments will be removed; you're too young to be on the internet unsupervised and you know it.