#‎AGDoCGotY
American Girl, keep giving us Dolls of Color for Girls of the Year.

Friday, July 26, 2013

Magazine Monthly: Jan/Feb 1993

Magazine Monthly: Now with Paper Dolls!
Ah, time again for Magazine Monthly Again! While I did miss June, I should be able to continue these regularly from now on. I've sorted my magazines, and--after a few more purchases--actually have about ten years in total, until Jan/Feb 2002. Plus I also have all the paper dolls too--it took a lot of searching, but I was successful! Alas, I do not have the paper dolls in magazines, and I might be missing incidentals for some of those with hats. I'll continue to refine my collection, natch. But with a full set, now they'll be included as much as possible with each issue they came with.

How does this affect my first Magazine Monthly? Well, I'll talk about the first paper doll in a post just for paper dolls, and give her focus then. No retcon add ons.

To the magazine and paper doll!
Braids, Brides, and Peppermints.
First, the cover of the magazine. AG I believe keeps up the tradition of non-professional models and certainly then had them. This is the first actual issue, and has all the lovely trappings thereof.

This month's model, Melissa Hoye (age ten), takes advanced swimming lessons and likes telling jokes. Then we get a descending, shrinking paragraph of the fine joke: "Pete and Repeat were on a boat. Pete fell off. Who was left?" "Repeat." "Pete and Repeat..." Can't knock her, I said that same joke when I was younger. She was ten back in 1993, which means she's thirty this year--and still younger than me. 

Remember when there were only four girls?
Next, a letter to girls, thanking them for all they sent in--stories, poems, and all the things and such as. Also stuff about good friends. Again, at this point AG magazine blended in the Historical characters, so there's images at the bottom of the four girls.

Girls Express contains the following:
  • Interviewing Bonnie-Alise Leggat, winning (then child) author of the book Punt, Pass, & Point! and how it was published by Landmark Editions (which switched to Landmark House, but I can't find anything about them beyond 2007).
  •  The buzzword "shenanigans" which is one of my favorite words in the whole damn world
  • Trendspotting and girls who have data on the kicking rad trends of the early 90s
  • Adopting rainforest through your class and saving the environment
  • Opening a "kid's restaurant" AKA making dinner for your parents and using it to get money out of them.
  • A quick interview with a female snowboarder
  • Taste testing hot chocolate (nothing that can help me)
This is followed by "Talk it Out" and how to deal with fighting with friends and making up. I am greatly proud of the girl named Ololade, cause that is an awesome name. But alas, there's nothing about how some fights end friendships, and that's something that needs to be addressed as well.

A most exceptional short story.
There's only one short story--the first had two, because it was a premiere and there probably wasn't as much data to go with. This is "A Most Exceptional Bridesmaid", which was later called Samantha Saves the Wedding. This has the older illustration style, where the twins were short haired and looking a little like Orphan Annie (which was not a cartoon until the 20s). There's parts of the story that are not in the short version: a bit of exposition on Samantha that wouldn't be known by someone reading the books; Samantha flat out saying that she's going to get her veil for Cornelia, instead of it being all sort of hush-hush; a bit of the twins making up ideas on how to hide her not being here; and Samantha getting called thoughtless for going missing. The rest is just tweaks in the writing.

Let's get MURRIED.
The looking back talks about weddings over several time periods: specializing, natch, in Felicity, Molly, Samantha, and Kirsten. There's data on dress and wedding styles, locales for weddings, and cakes as well as other things. There is also a flipping sweet image of an all-black wedding in 1908 and again in 1944.

Fun fact: I'm posting this the day after my fifth wedding anniversary.

Skating like cats.
I normally don't care about sports, but I have a soft spot for ice skating. This article was about a precision-skating team called the Ice Cubes out of MA. 

Do your hair!
A section on braiding and making hairbows, from the book Braids & Bows. I actually have that book somewhere in the house, as I use it to braid both doll hair and my own. Perhaps I shall, one day, do shots of how I do doll hair. This excerpt shows how to make a French braid and French over, a rope braid a hair clip covered in balloons, and a hair pouf. It's a good book.

Peppermint Valentine Party--including TREES
A peppermint themed Valentine's party. I'd love to do one of these. Making invitations, setting the table, shortbread heart cookies, peppermint floats and awesome fucking peppermint trees. I'll make one myself and blog about it. There's also games to try.

Some games and puzzles--titled "Games & Giggles", it has some puzzles, some poems, some riddles, and a crossword.

The last owner was nice enough to finish the crossword for me!
I am not actually bothered by writing in my magazines. These were meant to be enjoyed and solved.

Hawkeye Hatty!
There's a short story--"Hawkeye Hatty Rides Again." I love this--not only is it illustrated by Melodye Rosales, it's also about a black girl who wants to be a cowboy. I tried to find details about the story online, but I think it might have just been for the magazine. The author, Eleanora E. Tate, later wrote The Minstrel's Melody for the History Mysteries series.

The baddest bitch in the West.
The looking back was about Stagecoach Mary/Mary Fields, the baddest black woman in the Wild West who decided to run some damn stage coaches. Read more about her on either the Wiki page, The Badass Page, or BlackCowboys.net. Or search Tumblr or Google. Get your read on! (We need movies about her and not about the same white dudes in the west.)


This time, the Imagine spot is around the painting Children Roller Skating, by William James Glackens.

Paper Doll #2: Shira!
And for the first (but not last) time on Magazine Monthly: the included paper doll. This month was Shira Kalman-Hicks, age eight (in 1993) who traced back as far as her triple-great grandmother.

Since this is the first time I'm discussing the American Girl Magazine Paper Dolls, I'll go into some detail to be filled out in its own post. The magazine paper dolls were released initially every month as a removable cardstock set, and included the girl and direct female relatives--moms, grandmoms, and beyond and beyond. The person who submitted the data also was expected to send little story blurbs about the relatives as girls, and then an illustrator would draw her and the outfits (and depending, a relative or two who didn't come with photos) and data about each outfit would be on the back. Better education through history! I mostly hunted these down because I love historical clothing, and this paper doll series has it in spades.

Fold it out.
This came as a double folded center, which included Shira in ballet gear (nothing in her notes indicated liking ballet, but whatever) and five outfits--four for relatives, and one "contemporary" for Shira. It also had the booklet to put together and instructions on how to send in the information on how to possibly become a paper doll.

Punched out.
I have two sets--one was purchased loose. Most of my dolls were purchased punched, and not every one has their little blurblet book. Shira's outfits cover her, her mom (1960), grandmother (1937), great-grandmother (1919), and triple-great grandmother (1871). I'm working on getting this on the AG Wiki, so not a lot of details here. 

1960 chic.
My favorite outfit is the one for 1960. Not only do we get a neat set, but some Nancy Drew books in her arms. Part of the reason I love the 60s is my mom was a girl in the 60s. Also, Edith ideas like whoa--Edith initially was created because I wanted a doll from my mom's era. 

The back blurb of the 60s outfit.
A bit of blurb about the dress, and reasons why Marsha wore it. They do something like this on the back of every single outfit for the whole series.

Shira dressed up.
 And a shot of Shira in her plum flower girl dress. Quite Early 90s.
 
Next time on Magazine Monthly: Girls, Dogs, and Horses.
Next time on Magazine Monthly: It's all about animals. Cats, rats, dogs, frogs, rabbits, and Felicity getting horse-kicked.

--Neth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolling, pointless bigotry, and hating for the sake of hating will be removed, as will any post screaming "first" because no one cares. Cursing is fine, as I curse myself. I still expect you to act like you have home training. This is not a Free Speech Zone. I reserve the right to delete comments or tell you to piss off. You post, you stand by your words, and all the consequences of those words, even if that consequence is getting your ass handed back to you. Don't come in my space, spit on my floor, and expect me to call it a swimming pool. I can and will cuss your entire ass out. If I told you not to comment, and you comment, your comments will be deleted.

If you are under 13 your comments will be removed; you're too young to be on the internet unsupervised and you know it.