#‎AGDoCGotY
American Girl, keep giving us Dolls of Color for Girls of the Year.

Friday, August 16, 2013

AG Identifications: Ballet Wear

Ballet sets are Marisol's sole ownership right now.
American Girl has come out with a lot of ballet sets since starting up the modern line. At least one ballet set has been around every year since 1995, with the noted exception of a two year gap between 2004-2006. Which was covered by Marisol's collection, as she was the 2005 girl of the year and had two ballet outfits. So that's pushing to 20 years of toe shoes, leotards, and tights. Including Marisol's collection there's been nine ballet outfits:
So how many of that list modern ballet outfits do I own? All but one--the Ballet Recital Outfit--and I'm keeping eyes open for a complete set since I have completes of all the others.1 I like ballet, though I've never taken a class ever. Read a shit load of books. Own some textbooks. Look things up. Try to know most of what I'm talking about. Watch Princess Tutu. Sketch ballet outfits.

Because of the semi-uniformity of ballet, the outfits tend to repeat themselves in one way or another. There's only so many variations of tights/leotard/ballet shoes that exist and a lot of them are pink because ballet seems to yell "pink all the things." This means high potential for mix ups, especially in the pink shoe department.  Hell, I've mixed them up tons of times. And while all my sets will get proper reviews, this is more of a "which shoes go with which set of tights?" list, so you won't be seeing the whole outfit. Take note of the Marisol Spotlight Outfit shots. You will see them later in a review.

I reiterate that I own no Bitty things and I don't care about Bitty Things beyond news.

*~*~*
Leotards:

Swan Lake Ballet Costume
Swan Lake Ballet Costume: The set came with a "practice" outfit. Black leotard--it is the only black leotard that has been released for a ballet set--with short sleeves.

Marisol's Ballet Outfit.
Marisol's Ballet Outfit: Muted blush pink sleeveless leotard. Slight dip to the back.

Marisol's Spotlight Outfit.
Marisol's Spotlight Outfit: Dark mulberry leotard with a mesh overlay. Mesh sleeves with lace trim. Sequins at neckline.

Two-in-One Ballerina Outfit.
Two-in-One Ballerina Outfit: Easily mistaken for/mixed up with Marisol's. However, this one has a small gather at the front, is spaghetti strapped (not sleeveless) and is a touch less pale.

Ballet Outfit.
Ballet Outfit: Pink double strapped leotard, with attached georgette skirt. This one also has "American Girl" in small pink print on the back and is the brightest of the pink leotards.

Tights:

Marisol's Spotlight Outfit. Not my picture.
Marisol's Spotlight Outfit: Purple tights. I don't have an authentic pair. I'm okay with that as the tights I have are thicker and less prone to snaggage. This was swiped from an eBay auction.

Marisol's Ballet Outfit.
Marisol's Ballet Outfit: Footless pale pink tights. Easiest way to tell them is that they're the only footless ballet tights.

Swan Lake Ballet Costume Pink Tights.
Swan Lake Ballet Costume, Pink: Sheer pink tights.
 
Swan Lake Ballet Costume White Tights.
Swan Lake Ballet Costume, White: Sheer white tights. White tights also came with Ballet Costume I.

Ballet Outfit Tights.
Ballet Outfit: Pink tights. The difference between these and the pink tights for the Swan Lake Ballet Costume is that these are more opaque.

Leg Warmers: 

Marisol's Ballet Outfit.
 Marisol's Ballet Outfit: Muted pink legwarmers  Mine have lost elasticity on one side and need repair.

Two-in-One Ballerina Set
Two-in-One Ballerina Outfit: Pale pink leg warmers. These are less grey than Marisol's though my camera didn't pick that up too clearly.

Ballet Outfit.
Ballet Outfit: These are the brightest pink legwarmers of the three leggings released with ballet outfits.

Shoes: Shoes get sole and tops for several of them, because that's the only damn way to tell them apart in some cases. *fistshake*

Ballet Costume I, tops.
Ballet Costume I, soles.
Ballet Costume I: Pink satin pull on slippers. Bows on the toe. Interfaced, but not lined. Satin sole.

Ballet Costume II, tops.
Ballet Costume II, soles.
Ballet Costume II: Raspberry ballet slippers with long ribbons. Satin soles of the same fabric. Cardboard inner sole that can be accidentally removed. These are inaccurate with ribbons attached to the toes, not the heels.

Swan Lake Ballet Costume, Practice Slippers, tops.
Swan Lake Ballet Costume, Practice Slippers, soles.
Swan Lake Ballet Costume, Practice Slippers: Pink slippers with ankle straps. No internal lining, no internal tags, cloth soles.

Swan Lake Ballet Costume, Performance Slippers, tops.
Swan Lake Ballet Costume, Performance Slippers, soles.
Swan Lake Ballet Costume, Performance Slippers: White toe shoes with long ribbons. Stiff box at toes and adjustable ribbons. Internal white stiff sole. Hard soles with cross hatching. Probably the most authentic toe shoes released by AG.

Marisol's Ballet Outfit slippers, tops.
Marisol's Ballet Outfit slippers, bottoms. Ignore the staining.
Marisol's Ballet Outfit: Blush /pale pink slippers with ankle straps. No internal lining. Internal AG tags attached to heels. Cloth soles.

Marisol's Spotlight Outfit slippers.
Marisol's Spotlight Outfit: Iridescent purple toe shoes with long ribbons. Stiff box at toes and adjustable ribbons. Internal white stiff sole. Hard soles with cross hatching. Very authentic toe shoes.

Two-in-One Ballerina Set slippers, tops.
Two-in-One Ballerina Set slippers, soles.
Two-in-One Ballerina Set: Pink slip on ballet slippers. Strap across toes. Internal AG tag attached to side. Internal soft soles. Leather like soles.

Ballet Outfit slippers, tops.
Ballet Outfit slippers, soles.
Ballet Outfit: Pink slip on ballet slippers. Strap across toes that goes around to the sole. Internal AG tag attached to heel. Internal soft soles. Leather like soles.

Skirts:

Marisol's Ballet Outfit.
Marisol's Ballet Outfit: Iridescent rose pink wrap skirt. Rhinestone decor. Single layer. Snap closure at waist.

Marisol's Spotlight Outfit.
Marisol's Spotlight Outfit: Purple lace and tulle tutu. Velvet ribbon. Snaps in back at waist.

Two-in-One Ballerina Set.
Two-in-One Ballerina Set: Pink georgette wrap skirt. Elastic waistband. Small satin ribbon at front. Double layered.

Ballet Outfit.
Ballet Outfit: Stiff tulle pull on tutu. Elastic waistband.

*~*~*

The rumors of the next Girl of the Year is that she's a ballet dancer--American Girl did a casting call for ballet dancers. If this is true, I might end up with more ballet outfits.2 No regrets: I have a weakness, and the only cure is more doll sized toe shoes.

--Neth

1 Well, complete enough. "Does not have purple tights" is not enough to consider my Marisol's Spotlight Outfit incomplete, and I can live without any program papers for a Ballet Recital set if I get my hands on one.
2 But not necessarily the character herself. I have a moratorium on white dolls in my house unless they really impress the hell out of me.

3 comments:

  1. Is the 2014 GOTY white, or do you just have the feeling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if she is or isn't, but if she is I will not get her unless she's an impressive combination or something. I'm tired of white dolls.

      Delete
  2. I so hope she will not be white with blonde hair blue eyes!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Trolling, pointless bigotry, and hating for the sake of hating will be removed, as will any post screaming "first" because no one cares. Cursing is fine, as I curse myself. I still expect you to act like you have home training. This is not a Free Speech Zone. I reserve the right to delete comments or tell you to piss off. You post, you stand by your words, and all the consequences of those words, even if that consequence is getting your ass handed back to you. Don't come in my space, spit on my floor, and expect me to call it a swimming pool. I can and will cuss your entire ass out. If I told you not to comment, and you comment, your comments will be deleted.

If you are under 13 your comments will be removed; you're too young to be on the internet unsupervised and you know it.